Sunday, March 18, 2012

Putting a Stop to Bullying


I was able to create this word cloud on Taxedo. I had a lot of fun creating it because I was able to customize it any way I wanted it to appear. You are provided with various options to choose from such as the theme, colors, fonts and shapes you would like to design your cloud. 
What a great tool to use with students as an activity to a lesson! Various ways this could be used in the classroom are: Creating a word cloud with the students-If a new vocabulary word or concept is being introduced, the students can brainstorm different words that come to mind when the concept or vocabulary word is mentioned-activating prior knowledge. Then, the teacher can begin to type their responses or ideas into the format provided, customize it to your liking and shazam! You've got your own word cloud! 
Another way this could be used in the classroom is to have students create a cloud about themselves-it could be a word cloud that describes them, what they like to do, what their favorite color is, favorite movies, etc. This could be a great way for the teacher to get to know her students!
_____________________________________________________

A few week ago I came across a petition from a student in Ann Arbor, MI asking Motion Picture Association of America to give the film Bully a PG-13 rating instead of an R rating. 
This really struck me because like many of us, I have been bullied in school-elementary and middle school years. I could only think back and wish that those students who bullied me and to those who bully others could be exposed to this kind of film. I signed this petition because I hope that students who are bullying and who watch this film will realize that their words and actions really do hurt others, to open their eyes to see the pain and discomfort they cause others. To those being bullied, that they will see hope and to never give up and never change who they are. 
This is a huge topic being discussed within the education community. Bullying has now spiraled into cyber-bullying where students are bullied via the internet. 
Cyber-bullying: Cyberbullying is the use of technology to harass, threaten, embarrass, or target another person. This is something that is happening within our environment-the schools. I feel that it is important to step in when we see any kind of bullying occurring in the schools because it could save the life of a student. I hear many sad stories about students committing suicide because they are being taunted and bullied at school. This shouldn't be. 
How can we as educators take action to step in when we see a student being bullied?  

1 comment:

  1. Rubi,
    Thank you very much for sharing the Taxedo link. My class loves Wordles,and I'm so excited to introduce Taxedo them. So much so that I've rearranged my plans for tomorrow to fit it in. When my class creates one I will share it. I think having a zero tolerance for ANY type of misconduct, verbal or physical should be the starting point. Then strictly adhering to it. Once the student body sees others dealing with the dire consequences then the school climate should improve. I worry as a parent that my children get bullied and are afraid to talk about it. What kind of dialogue would spark a safe conversation with children? Yours or others?

    ReplyDelete