Sunday, March 25, 2012

First time screencasting!

Check out this screencasting wiki-page introducing what screencasting is and the types of programs and software that can be used to screencast: Screencasting 584projects

Screencasting is quite simple.
  • You can select and capture an image
  • You can record exactly what is going on on your computer screen
  • Your voice can also be recorded
How do I begin screencasting? 
What do I need to screencast?

On  this wiki page: Screencasting 584projects, there are several programs listed and described that enable you to screencast. Some do not require download while others do; however, they are very simple to use and quick downloads. 

Below, you will find my first screencast:
Unable to display content. Adobe Flash is required. 

Wow, creating tutorials and screencasting is not easy! I did several screencasts before I finally uploaded two videos. I found myself having to script what I was going to say in order to fulfill the 5 minute limit that Jing enables me to work with. I suppose that would be the only downfall to using Jing-the fact that it only allows you 5 minutes. Then again, many of the best attention grabbing videos are less than 2 minutes. However, I am not a screencasting pro yet! 

     You might notice that on the Prezi Basic screencast I am speaking quickly. Only reason being is Jing allows you to see how much time you have left and whether you are about to reach your 5 minute limit. I was close to reaching that limit which is why I was speeding up towards the end! 
     Please post any questions you have about Prezi if you did not understand something on the screencast!

  2012 Snagit Overview Video
Above, is a link that briefly describes the program Snagit! Check it out!

**Embedded second screencast on another blog post**


2 comments:

  1. Rubi, do you have a favorite Screencasting tool? Have you been able to run Jing on your Mac? What screencasting tools would you recommend for Mac users? My first screencasts were also difficult; it took some adjusting to getting the timing and script just right.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Judy,
    I really enjoyed using Snagit 11. I found that with this tool I was not limited to 5 minutes, in fact, I was given as much time as I would have liked. I have a Dell Laptop and I was able to run Jing on it just fine. Would these screencasting tools also work for Mac users? I agree that this can be a difficult task. I found myself having to write down word for word what I wanted to say throughout my screencast. Scripting it made the process of creating one much easier.

    ReplyDelete